The concept of persistent storage is nascent in the container ecosystem, and with container technology full of players, the dust has not yet settled. NetApp is stepping up to work with the community and a variety of partners to shape the way containers approach data management.
Container technology is an important piece of NetApp’s Data Fabric vision, and we want to help our customers to get the most our of our data management technology; simplifying the deployment of containers throughout an enterprise while protecting and managing data, wherever, whenever — across the fabric.
- The NetApp Docker Volume Plug-in (nDVP) is the primary integration point for NetApp’s container story
- We partner across the container ecosystem.
- We work with customers to build container ready data management solutions
- NetApp is a founding Gold Member of the Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF)
The NetApp Docker Volume Plug-in (nDVP) allows Docker users to have a native experience while running on top of NetApp storage gear.
Key Features Include:
- Native integration between Docker with NetApp storage natively
- Docker-driven provisioning and management of data volumes that bind to containers and persist beyond the lifetime of a single container or host.
- Volume management for individual server deployments
- Orchestrators like Docker Swarm and Mesos/Mesosphere orchestrators
- NetApp Platform Support:
- ONTAP (both NAS and SAN)
Trident is an orchestration system providing the ability to manage storage resources across multiple platforms. It integrates with Kubernetes 1.4+ StorageClass system to provide the ability to dynamically provision persistent volume requests on demand at the time of the request. Additionally, Trident has a REST interface which can be used by any application to create and mange storage across the configured resources.
Features of Trident:
- Kubernetes and REST interface(s) for consuming storage resources
- Utilizes Docker Volume Plugins for managing storage. Compatible with:
- Create and provision against meta-classes of storage with common characteristics, providing abstracted pools of storage to the consumer
- Deploy as a standalone application to a physical/virtual host, as a container, or as a Kubernetes pod