The concept of persistent storage is nascent in the container ecosystem, and with container technology full of players, the dust has not yet settled. NetApp is stepping up to work with the community and a variety of partners to shape the way containers approach data management.
Container technology is an important piece of NetApp’s Data Fabric vision, and we want to help our customers to get the most out of our data management technology; simplifying the deployment of containers throughout an enterprise while protecting and managing data, wherever, whenever — across the fabric.
Trident is an orchestration system providing the ability to manage storage resources across multiple platforms. It integrates with Kubernetes 1.4+ StorageClass system to provide the ability to dynamically provision persistent volume requests on demand at the time of the request. Additionally, Trident has a REST interface which can be used by any application to create and mange storage across the configured resources.
Trident is also fully supported by NetApp.
Features of Trident:
- Kubernetes and REST interface(s) for consuming storage resources
- Compatible with:
- Create and provision against meta-classes of storage with common characteristics, providing abstracted pools of storage to the consumer
- Deploy as a standalone application to a physical/virtual host, as a container, or as a Kubernetes pod
Important Update: Effective with the January 2018 (18.01) release, NetApp is converging nDVP with Trident. Going forward, Trident will be NetApp’s single unified container storage plugin. NetApp will continue to support customers who are using nDVP. It is recommended that customers transition to Trident 18.01 by April 2018.
The NetApp Docker Volume Plug-in (nDVP) allows Docker users to have a native experience while running on top of NetApp storage gear.
Key Features Include:
- Native integration between Docker with NetApp storage natively
- Docker-driven provisioning and management of data volumes that bind to containers and persist beyond the lifetime of a single container or host.
- Volume management for individual server deployments
- Orchestrators like Docker Swarm and Mesos/Mesosphere orchestrators
- NetApp Platform Support:
- ONTAP (both NAS and SAN)