Enterprise storage and data management for production ready private cloud powered by OpenStack.Learn more about NetApp’s community contributions, reference architectures, use cases and best practices for both developers and DevOps.
Why NetApp with OpenStack?
NetApp is among the frontrunners for OpenStack storage solutions, and has the broadest storage and data management portfolio in the industry (ONTAP, Element software, StorageGRID and Cloud Volumes ONTAP)
Reduces Data Replication
NetApp ONTAP’s Snapshot technology makes it possible to generate space-efficient snapshots, providing a greater utilization factor and resiliency for business operations.
Platform & Protocol Support
NetApp has two classes of platforms that can function as Cinder storage backends (ONTAP and Element). This means that there is a solution that best suits your needs, balancing data services, performance and scale-out requirements.
OpenStack Community Contribution
NetApp is a strong contributor to the OpenStack community and provides industry leading shared-filesystem access on NFS & CIFS delivered through Manila, a project that NetApp spearheaded in the OpenStack community.
Rich Feature Set
Rich Feature Set – NetApp storage solutions support thin provisioning for on-demand allocation, NetApp Volume Encryption (NVE) for data encryption at rest, and support IPv6 addresses.
NetApp’s platforms are fully integrated into the common OpenStack API framework; in addition, NetApp Ansible modules provide extensive support for configuration management and automation.
Element software enables All-Flash, Scale-Out Cinder storage for NetApp HCI and SolidFire. Designed for service provider scale and OpenStack environments, Element QoS settings guarantee workload protection across vast deployments.
Accelerate Test & QA
NetApp cloning and data management features accelerate the DevOps application pipeline, making it easier for developers to non-disruptively and quickly QA against real production data.
NetApp are among the leading all-time contributors to the Cinder and Manila codebase. You can have full confidence that NetApp is committed to fostering OpenStack development.
Welcome to the final part in this three-part series on Cinder volume migration. So far, we have explored the basics of migrating volumes and the migration of a volume between backends that reside on the same cluster. In this post, we extend the concept of moving...read more
In part two of this series, we will look at an example scenario, where a volume is migrated between backends that lie on the same cluster. In case you haven’t been through part 1 already, you should definitely do so and obtain a general overview of Cinder volume...read more
One of the cool features offered by OpenStack is the migration of Cinder volumes across backends. Volumes can be moved within an ONTAP cluster, between ONTAP clusters and between an ONTAP and SolidFire cluster. The good thing about migrating volumes is that the...read more
The Rocky release of OpenStack went public on August 28th and NetApp® is proud to have contributed in its development. NetApp continues to cement its place as a leading storage solutions provider for OpenStack and has added the following new features in Cinder and...read more
I am happy to share with you the publishing of the second document of the FlexPod SolidFire with Red Hat OpenStack Platform 10 - Cisco Validated Design (CVD) solution. Paired with its partner Design Guide, this CVD enables an enterprise-grade OpenStack deployment, in...read more
Welcome to part one of a series on reducing risk in OpenStack with NetApp. Whether you are already running OpenStack, or are considering running it, the security of your data should always be at the forefront of your thoughts. NetApp has many features that work in...read more
Deployment & Operations Guides
- The Rocky Deployment & Operations Guide
- The Queens Deployment & Operations Guide
- The Pike Deployment & Operations Guide
- The Ocata Deployment & Operations Guide
- The Newton Deployment & Operations Guide
- The Mitaka Deployment & Operations Guide
- The Liberty Deployment & Operations Guide
- The Kilo Deployment & Operations Guide
- The Juno Deployment & Operations Guide
- Mirantis OpenStack 9.1 on NetApp
- Highly Available OpenStack Deployment on NetApp
- Provisioning OpenStack Mitaka with PackStack
- Provisioning OpenStack Liberty with PackStack
- Mirantis OpenStack 9 on NetApp
- Mirantis OpenStack 8 on NetApp
- Red Hat OpenStack Platform 8 on FlexPod
- Mirantis OpenStack 7 on NetApp
- RHEL-OSP 6 FlexPod CVD: Deployment Guide
- RHEL-OSP 6 FlexPod CVD: Design Guide
- Manila & Sahara Integration in OpenStack
- RHEL-OSP 5 on NetApp
- SUSE OpenStack Cloud 5 on NetApp
- OpenStack Solution Brief
- DevOps Gets Smart About Data: Make OpenStack, Jenkins & Docker Work Together Without Losing a Thing
- Skyrocketing Development & Deployment with OpenStack and Docker
- Tell Me About Backups In OpenStack!
- Austin Marketplace: The Rest Of The Iceberg!
- Great Feats of Storage: OpenStack Unlimited
- SolidFire + Platform9: Simply faster OpenStack
- Getting it Right: OpenStack Private Cloud Storage