Enterprise storage and data management for production ready private cloud powered by OpenStack.Learn more about NetApp’s community contributions, reference architectures, use cases and best practices for both developers and DevOps.
Why NetApp with OpenStack?
NetApp is among the frontrunners for OpenStack storage solutions, and has the broadest storage and data management portfolio in the industry (ONTAP, Element software, StorageGRID and Cloud Volumes ONTAP)
Reduces Data Replication
NetApp ONTAP’s Snapshot technology makes it possible to generate space-efficient snapshots, providing a greater utilization factor and resiliency for business operations.
Platform & Protocol Support
NetApp has two classes of platforms that can function as Cinder storage backends (ONTAP and Element). This means that there is a solution that best suits your needs, balancing data services, performance and scale-out requirements.
OpenStack Community Contribution
NetApp is a strong contributor to the OpenStack community and provides industry leading shared-filesystem access on NFS & CIFS delivered through Manila, a project that NetApp spearheaded in the OpenStack community.
Rich Feature Set
Rich Feature Set - NetApp storage solutions support thin provisioning for on-demand allocation, NetApp Volume Encryption (NVE) for data encryption at rest, and support IPv6 addresses.
NetApp’s platforms are fully integrated into the common OpenStack API framework; in addition, NetApp Ansible modules provide extensive support for configuration management and automation.
Element software enables All-Flash, Scale-Out Cinder storage for NetApp HCI and SolidFire. Designed for service provider scale and OpenStack environments, Element QoS settings guarantee workload protection across vast deployments.
Accelerate Test & QA
NetApp cloning and data management features accelerate the DevOps application pipeline, making it easier for developers to non-disruptively and quickly QA against real production data.
NetApp are among the leading all-time contributors to the Cinder and Manila codebase. You can have full confidence that NetApp is committed to fostering OpenStack development.
NetApp is thrilled to have contributed to and congratulates the OpenStack Community on the Pike release of OpenStack. The OpenStack Foundation's Pike press release mentions a lot of new and exciting features across the board. In this blog, we call out a few that are...
By Chad Morgenstern and Jenny Yang Overview In the blog post Cinder Cheesecake: Things to Consider, we wrote that we would be looking at various failure scenarios. Scenarios that build on one another to give a clear view of what happening in the environment. This...
By Chad Morgenstern and Jenny Yang In the blog post An Introduction to Cheesecake in OpenStack, we spoke to Cinder Cheesecake replication, but we didn’t go into detail about how it works. In summary: Cinder automatically sets up a replication relationship between...
By Chad Morgenstern and Jenny Yang Now that you’ve considered and reviewed your disaster recovery needs, you may have decided that DR with Cinder is worth exploring. What is Cheesecake? Cheesecake in the OpenStack community refers to Cinder replication for DR use...
By Chad Morgenstern and Jenny Yang Disasters happen for multiple reasons ranging from site failures to regional failures to human errors. Remember the Hyperscaler site failures over the past few years? If It happens, are you prepared for it? Being at a storage...
It’s almost time for OpenStack Summit again, this time in Boston (May 8th – 11th). We have a ton of new material ready to share, including a big announcement around one of our storage platforms. We have also put a lot of effort in to producing some great sessions...
Deployment & Operations Guides
- The Wallaby Deployment & Operations Guide
- The Victoria Deployment & Operations Guide
- The Ussuri Deployment & Operations Guide
- The Train Deployment & Operations Guide
- The Stein Deployment & Operations Guide
- The Rocky Deployment & Operations Guide
- The Queens Deployment & Operations Guide
- The Pike Deployment & Operations Guide
- The Ocata Deployment & Operations Guide
- The Newton Deployment & Operations Guide
- The Mitaka Deployment & Operations Guide
- The Liberty Deployment & Operations Guide
- The Kilo Deployment & Operations Guide
- The Juno Deployment & Operations Guide
- Mirantis OpenStack 9.1 on NetApp
- Highly Available OpenStack Deployment on NetApp
- Provisioning OpenStack Mitaka with PackStack
- Provisioning OpenStack Liberty with PackStack
- Mirantis OpenStack 9 on NetApp
- Mirantis OpenStack 8 on NetApp
- Red Hat OpenStack Platform 8 on FlexPod
- Mirantis OpenStack 7 on NetApp
- RHEL-OSP 6 FlexPod CVD: Deployment Guide
- RHEL-OSP 6 FlexPod CVD: Design Guide
- Manila & Sahara Integration in OpenStack
- RHEL-OSP 5 on NetApp
- SUSE OpenStack Cloud 5 on NetApp
- OpenStack Solution Brief
- DevOps Gets Smart About Data: Make OpenStack, Jenkins & Docker Work Together Without Losing a Thing
- Skyrocketing Development & Deployment with OpenStack and Docker
- Tell Me About Backups In OpenStack!
- Austin Marketplace: The Rest Of The Iceberg!
- Great Feats of Storage: OpenStack Unlimited
- SolidFire + Platform9: Simply faster OpenStack
- Getting it Right: OpenStack Private Cloud Storage